How do I look something up?
To look up a term in the dictionary, enter it in the text input box at
the top of any page and click on the Search button.
If you don't know how to do this, refer to the instructions for the
web browser you are using.
Summary: there is no search syntax! Just enter a word or phrase.
A search first looks for the entry whose complete heading matches your
search string exactly. If there is no such entry it then tries again
ignoring case. If there is still no match it looks for entries whose
headings start with your search string, ignoring case. If all these
fail, it tries to convert your search string to singular and searches
- This button will return you to the dictionary's front page.
- This will show you information about the dictionary and other
ways to browse it.
- This button lets you send comments, questions or contributions
to the maintainers.
- Takes you to a different randomly selected definition each
- Looks up the text you have entered in the box as described
Last modified: Wed Feb 14 15:48:10 BST 2001